9 September, 2020
United States President, Donald Trump, will be announcing the pullout of more American troops from Iraq today, and from Afghanistan in the coming days as informed by a US official aboard Air Force One.
On Monday, Trump said that the top people in the Pentagon might not be“in love” with him “because they want to do nothing but fight wars.”.
The pullout is in line with Trump’s previous pledge to reduce the number of troops in both war-torn countries. It was revealed by the US Defense Secretary Mark Esper last month that the number of US troops stationed in Afghanistan would be slashed to less than 5,000 in the coming months.
In his remark, President Trump made it known that he wants to cap the US contingent on the ground in Afghanistan to no more than 4,000 troops.
“We’re going down to 4,000, we’re negotiating right now… I don’t want to tell you (when). But I’ve always said we will get largely out,” Trump said last month, noting that he expects between 4,000 and 5,000 troops to be in Afghanistan by Election Day.
The framework for the gradual pullout was set forth in a deal with Taliban, signed on February 29
Last month, The head of the Pentagon’s Central Command. Gen. Kenneth F. McKenzie Jr., informed that the US expects to keep “a long-term presence” in Iraq, purportedly to fight the remnants of Islamic State (ISIS) and as well to prevent Iran from gaining a strong foothold in the country. He also said the contingent of 5,200 US troops now in Iraq can be further “adjusted” upon consultation with Baghdad.